OUT AND ABOUT
Local amenities and shops:
· Westhall (approx. 1 ½ mile) – Racehorse Pub is a new community pub owned and run by the village itself , it also doubles up as a community shop at certain times of day. It is a 3 min drive or good 20 minute walk. Turn Right out of our drive, follow Locks Road to Westhall village, turn right at T junction, pub on right. If walking after dark, take care as roads are not lit.
· Wangford (approx. 4 miles) – has a SPAR comprehensive store including off licence, newspapers, bakery etc normally open 8am-6pm. For Wangford follow signs across the A12 and then turn right into village.
· Beccles (approx. 5 miles) – a charming market town, southern most point of the Norfolk broads. Beccles has all the shops, pubs and restaurants one would expect of a thriving town including a beautiful river and quay area to explore and many independent eateries and interesting boutiques. Beccles also has our closest two large supermarkets (Tesco and Morrisons) for all your needs and a train station with direct links to London and the coast.
· Halesworth (approx. 5 miles) – also a market town, with excellent links to the surrounding area and the pedestrian thoroughfare lined with great shopping including independent greengrocers, bakers, butchers, delicatessen and cafes and bistros. Also the Halesworth Museum, train station, delightful town park with skate park, basketball court, children's play area and Millennium Green extensive walking and cycle routes, and a medium sized Co-op supermarket.
· Norwich (approx. 24 miles, 45 minute drive) – Our closest ancient city, with all the amenities, culture and fascinating buildings one would expect.
We are very lucky to be only 4 miles from Henham Park, the stunning location for Latitude Festival. The Festival takes play in July every year, and is a truly fantastic experience for all the family. For those who would rather not stay at the festival site, Barn Owl Glade is the perfect nearby festival accommodation. In fact, most years, we host some of the performers. Alongside the Pods, the cottages are reserved for the performers. It would also be possible to pitch tents in one of our fields. Transport to and from the Festival can be arranged.
PLACES TO GO
Southwold (approx. 8 miles)
The quintessentially English seaside town - the closest and most famous beach and beach huts in the area. Attractions include the fabulous Southwold Pier with the quirky under the pier show, amusement arcade, and shop, café and boardwalk restaurant, the Adnams Brewery (tours can be booked online), Southwold Museum, Lighthouse, Alfred Corry Lifeboat Museum plus the Harbour area with the fresh fish shack, Harbour Inn, Golf Course, tennis courts and The Pit Stop Café (perfect for kids - a local secret!), and lots more. We'd recommend Suzie's Beach Café (on the seafront right next to the beach) for some reasonably priced drinks, snacks and ice cream. Plus a pint of Adnams in one of the many pubs of course and some fish and chips! Be sure to get there early though as parking is limited and it gets VERY busy during the summer months and school holidays.
Walberswick (approx. 10 miles)
Picturesque village located on the banks of the River Blyth. There is a ferry which, in season, can take you from Walberswick to Southwold. Other attractions include the heath/marshland around the village and the beach, perfect for dog walking, the nearby Minsmere nature reserve and 2 inns in the village itself. Our favourite, The Anchor, is well worth a visit, just a stones throw from the beach, it does excellent food, a fine selection of beers and wines and often a BBQ in summer. It is very dog and child friendly and even opens at 8.30am for breakfast!
There are plenty of excellent courses in the area for the keen golfer as well as some more basic options for beginners or families. Southwold Golf Club is renowned in the area, Halesworth is nearby, as is Beccles Common. Thorpeness and Aldeburgh Golf Clubs are a little further afield. High Lodge is very convenient, just off the A12, and provides a 9 hole course for all abilities. Other activities too (foot golf, clay pigeon shooting etc) plus the clubhouse offering a Sunday Carvery.
“The beautiful town of Southwold is just a short drive away and has a good range of shops and places to eat and drink. We'll definitely be back!"